As I was wrapping some Christmas gifts last weekend I began to wonder what all of my friends thought of gift wrapping. So this is your time to shine or confess, maybe a little of both. Here's what I want to know:
1. Do you love or hate wrapping gifts?
2. What kind of wrapping do you use? Do you like regular paper, foil gift wrap, kraft paper, fabric, newspaper, etc?
3. Do you coordinate the gifts under your tree (use all the same wrapping paper or a few that coordinate) or is everything just mixed?
4. Do you love ribbons and bows? Do you make your own?
5. What about gift tags? Do you use the stick-on ones, use a scrap piece of wrapping paper, make your own?
6. How much tape does it take for you to wrap a gift? Do you use tons or can you wrap an entire box with only 3 pieces? Do you use stickers as tape sometimes?
7. How do you feel about gift bags?
8. What do you do for the gifts you have to ship?
9. Are you a skilled wrapper or do your gifts look like a 2 year old wrapped them?
10. How do you prep the gift inside the box? Do you use fancy tissue paper to pre-wrap the item or do you just stick it in there and call it good?
I'm really very curious about how each of you wrap. I guess I should confess my techniques as well. Please don't think less of me after this post.
1. I do not particularly enjoy wrapping gifts, but I don't hate it either. It's just something that has to be done.
2. I usually buy my wrapping paper on clearance after Christmas. I have way too much and could probably last 10 more years without buying more. I can't pass up a bargain. Foil wrap frustrates me even though it is so pretty. I should confess that I sometimes use those boxes that have pictures on them and don't use any wrapping. Yes, I'm that lazy. For small items, I like those pretty little boxes that are printed on the outside and inside. I think they're cute. I would like to use something more creative like fabric but I never have. Maybe someday...
3. My gifts are totally uncoordinated. I do however try to use more masculine paper for the guys and girly stuff for the girls.
4. Please don't hate me... I kinda gave up on ribbons and bows years ago. I have a big box of bows, but I rarely use them (except for kids' gifts because sometimes the bow is better than the gift.) We usually travel for Christmas and it is just too much trouble to deal with squashed bows. Presents stack better in the car and under the tree if you don't have to worry about bows. Without bows, ribbon seems silly to me. There is one exception to this- see #5.
5. Gift tags- I can go 2 ways on this one. I like to cut up Christmas cards and use them as gift tags. If I do this, I punch a hole in the top and then use curly ribbon on the present to attach the tag. My other option (again, don't hate me) is the stick-on kind. They're cheap and easy.
6. I probably use a lot more tape than the average person. I'd say about 8 pieces per box. I don't tape the boxes shut unless they are busting open (due to me choosing a box that is too small.) If the box requires packing tape to stay shut, I try to remember to fold one end of the tape as a "courtesy tab" so it can be easily opened.
7. I use bags for odd shaped gifts mostly. I'm not the best with making tissue paper look pretty and again, they don't travel very well.
8. Gifts that ship are pretty much like all my other gifts.
9. My gifts probably look like a 12 year old wrapped them. It could be worse, but it could definitely be better. I did not inherit my Mom's skills at making packages look beautiful. I hope she comments and tells you all about how she wraps (hint, hint.)
10. I usually pre-wrap the item in tissue paper. If the tissue paper is patterned or colored, it's probably been recycled from a gift that we received. Occasionally I will buy colored tissue paper, but only if it's a good deal.
So that's my confession for the day. Basically I'm cheap and lazy when it comes to wrapping gifts. Thank you to those of you who get gifts from me and love me anyway. Please share your approach to gift wrapping. If you don't comment for yourself, I may feel compelled to do a separate post on how you wrap based on gifts we receive.
Stay tuned for confessions on Christmas shopping and gift OPENING.