Friday, June 12, 2009

Are you a hoarder or a purger?

I have been cleaning out our house over the last few weeks and making piles all over the house for our yard sale. Yesterday, we spent about 7 hours cleaning out the garage and finally finished at 9pm. I love getting rid of stuff!! I am totally a purger. I will happily get rid of almost anything I haven't used in the last few months, and I get great joy out of having more space and getting more organized. Josh on the other hand, as I was reminded yesterday, is a hoarder. He keeps things for long periods of time and has a much harder time letting go. Case in point, we found 3 little 6 inch trophies yesterday that Josh won for math contests back in middle school. Middle school!! I had to work pretty hard to convince him that because I was never going display them (because I refuse to dust unnecessary items) and because they are from middle school (and he now has his Ph.D.), that he should get rid of them. Sorry, honey! I find it funny and frustrating at the same time. Each week I have these little piles that he must go through to decide what I can get rid of. Sometimes I feel like a lawyer arguing my case for pitching or selling all this stuff. So, I'd like to know... are you a hoarder or a purger?

7 comments:

Amanda said...

i'm a hoarder and josh is the purger - he forces me every so often to go thru stuff (sigh)

Unknown said...

I like to purge, but I have enormous guilt because if I ever need one again (you know, like a middle school math trophy) I'll have to go out and spend money on one.

Andrea Casey said...

Amber, we need you to help us get organized!!! ;) We're both hoarders, very sentimental over the silliest things. But...our place is bursting at the seams with things we don't really use. We know it's time to purge, but it's awfully hard for us to get to it. :| Funny thing is - we get annoyed when others hoard.

Happy purging! It'll only make your move that much easier. :)

Kristi said...

Jon has a trombone from his high school band days that he refuses to let me sell because (get this) our kids MIGHT want to play the trombone SOMEDAY!! We have two tiny closets. Do you know how much space that ridiculous trombone takes up?! I feel your pain, sis.

But here's a tip: if he doesn't SEE you throw it out, he'll probably never know it's missing. That's the ploy I use for less high profile items than musical instruments.

Jennifer M said...

I think I'm a little of both. I always keep the sentimental items. On the other hand, I love to get rid of stuff that accumulates clutter.

Unknown said...

I'm a purger, Alan is a hoarder ... but I know there'd be trouble if I asked Alan to get rid of a couple of small trophies from his sports events in grade school. As long as they're small and don't sit out for display, what's the harm? Perhaps when Josh won those awards, he was then inspired to go on to become a Ph.D.!

Maisie said...

Most definitely a PURGER. I hate clutter and keeping things I will never use!